Monday 27 May 2013

days 22 - 27 | BOOK CHALLENGE SPREEEEEEEEEE.

Oh freaking elephants.

I had no idea that I was so behind on entries! Gosh darnit. But I have totally valid reasons though. This week was pretty busy (in the sense that my to-do list was longer than the Nile). Also, last Saturday was mah burfday and yesterday was my cousin's birthday PLUS I went to a Flores de Mayo procession. Blogging was just not an option.

But hey, I have a significant amount of free time today! The whole day! What an amazing thing! So I shall spend it filling up the blog challenge. Today, I challenge myself to make this as succinct as possible because I have a lot of entries to write.

Off we go!




Day 22 - Favorite book you own


Hmm, I don't know how to approach this question. I assume that when a book is my favorite, the tendency is for you to buy that book right? So would it also count as my all-time favorite book? Anyway, I think it's probably...

The Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan.


I love owning these books because it's the first series that I picked up and started actively collecting! I don't even own all the books in Harry Potter, my all-time favorite series, because I used to just borrow copies from my classmates. Now I have three books in the the HoO series, and I'm about to add another one in October! Accio, House of Hades! 

Day 23 - A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

This entry can potentially go on forever because my booklist is WAY long! But I shall settle for...

Anything Margaret Atwood.


I've been meaning for SO LONG to read at least one book from her, preferably The Handmaid's Tale! For some reason, I don't really see a lot of her books in bookstores, so I don't get to buy anything. Remind me to pick up an ebook!

Day 24 - A book that you wish more people would’ve read


Oh goodness, A LOT. Because I read a lot of books that aren't really "mainstream," I can go on and on listing books here. Can I just throw my entire fucking booklist here? But anyway, I'm going to have to go with... 

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult.


This book is not perfect, it's super long and it goes in circles, but I think the message is clear: DON'T BE A BULLY. It sucks how people still can't get that message. It's been how many fucking years and so many kids still kill themselves from bullying, and kill other people for bullying them. Didn't anybody ever learn from Columbine and Virginia Tech? This was a great insight into how bullying really damages a person. Even when you think it's all just fun and games, it's not really "fun" if someone wants to die because of you. 


Day 25 - A character who you can relate to the most


This is going to be a strange answer, haha. 

Lisa See's Millicent Min.


Millie is a young 11 year old genius, whilst I am a 23 year old idiot. But I just couldn't help but laugh at her narration, because I kept thinking "OMG she acts just like me." From her social awkwardness to her penchant for intellectual, hipsterry things, I related to her so much. It's like she's narrating my thoughts. There was also a part in the book where her friend Emily forces her to write a list of qualities she's looking for in a boy/man, and I thought to myself "Damn, did I write this list and submitted it to Lisa See subconsciously?" 

Day 26 - A book that changed your opinion about something

What the hell. Uh. Well this is a bit difficult because I don't really read about things I disagree with (like infidelity and super Catholicism). But I guess I'll pick...

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.


I have a tendency not to read spiritual books because I feel like they say the same things over and over again. But for some reason I really liked this book! Maybe it's cause I read it at the time when I really needed guidance. Anyhoo, because of this book I am now more open to reading books about spirituality.

Day 27 - The most surprising plot twist or ending


Well, this is not really a surprising twist but I was really disappointed. And I ranted about it before so...

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo -- The Darkling is an evil little bastard all along.

I just.... URGH. I am still not over this! I think this book would have been better in third person, so we see hints of his "inner darkness hullaballoo". Obviously Alina was a little bit in love with him, so she doesn't see anything suspicious about what he's doing. Alina had me so convinced that he was a good guy. Ugh! That's so heartbreaking.

---

I swear on my new sneakers, I will not skip the last three days of this stupid challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment