Tuesday 21 May 2013

day 21 | life imitating art and vice versa + a bit of childhood regression

Sigh. Once again, work piled up and my tasks for the week barely fit in a notepad. Thus, having no time to write a blog post during work breaks. I should have foreseen this coming! Then maybe I wouldn't have spent half of an entire fucking day playing Sims 3.

Out of sheer boredom I made a Sim, aiming to be a doctor. For some reason I was really obsessed with her getting her lifetime wish (thus spending 5 - 9 PM madly making her play chess). At one point my sister came to observe my game and commented on how alone the girl was. "Ang lungkot-lungkot naman niya! Bigyan mo na ng asawa! (She looks so sad! Give her a husband!)" she said.

"Career before love!!!!" I screamed, and she guffawed.

Y'know I think this Sim is going to be me when I grow up, haha. Not that I ever want to become a doctor. But I didn't realize I was living vicariously through this Sim, being successful and having fun "socializing", until my sister commented on it.

She did look pretty lonely though, so I found her a boyfriend. Something I'm not doing for myself in this lifetime XD

Now, onto the book challenge! Hey look, I only have 10 entries left!

Day 21 - Favorite book from your childhood


This question is soooooo unfair. For me, at least. A large bulk of my reading memory came from my childhood books, so this question is really effing hard to answer! But I think I'd really have to go with..

Matilda by Roald Dahl.


I know I said I wasn't going to repeat books in this challenge, but I would be lying to myself if I wrote down anything else. This book had a HUGE impact on my life, you have no idea!

Matilda is a huge factor in why I'm such a reader (another factor? The library from Beauty and the Beast). I don't think any other book has relayed exactly how I felt about books at that time. I actually used to sit by the corner and drink Ovaltine (not Milo, OVALTINE because that's what the book said) while having a pile of books beside me. Of course I only read one book a day haha. And I was way too young to be impressed by the likes of Joseph Conrad and Rudyard Kipling. Though I do plan on one day reading all those books that she read (or at least, what was listed).

I found a lot of comfort in reading about a girl like Matilda, who was bookish, a loner, and a lot misunderstood. A lot of books I read featured kids who were mischievous, happy-go-lucky, and friendly, and those were characters that were difficult (for me) to relate with. Matilda was more of my character, and it felt good to have some sort of ~representation in a book.

Another thing I liked about Matilda was that it didn't enforce the belief that "your parents are wonderful because they gave birth to you blah blah blah so you have to stick with them no matter what." NO. Just NO. Mr. and Mrs. Wormwood were horrid human beings, but Matilda left them because they weren't good for her. Not saying that my parents suck (only sometimes), but we need more books that say "horrible people are horrible people and you're better off without them PERIOD."

Also, I remember that scene in the movie where she makes pancakes for herself and I wanted so much to do that, except my parents never let me near the stove (up to this day, haha).

Matilda is actually a book that I still read up until adulthood. If I found the book now, I'd probably read it again. I think I might look for the movie again! 
 


Day 22 - Favorite book you own
Day 23 - A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t
Day 24 - A book that you wish more people would’ve read
Day 25 - A character who you can relate to the most
Day 26 - A book that changed your opinion about something
Day 27 - The most surprising plot twist or ending
Day 28 - Favorite title
Day 29 - A book everyone hated but you liked
Day 30 - Your favorite book of all time

No comments:

Post a Comment