Thursday 9 May 2013

day 9 | when school reading gives you jewels

I'm feeling better today, but still not completely in shape. Ugh. Should I have gone to work today? I rather would have not, but c'est la vie -- a penniless creature such as myself needs to go to work for the monies.

Ugh.

Anyway, let's discuss the book for day 9! Honestly, I am finding it hard to answer this question because I don't really pick up books without at least being intrigued by the summary. Will you seriously pick up a book with the initial thought of "this sucks"? So I decided to talk about a book that I had to read for school. Because seriously, no student thinks "fun!" when they're assigned to read a book.

Day 09 - A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving



Crime and Punishment by Fyodr Dostoyevsky


We had to read this book for my world literature class, and of course I wasn't that thrilled about it. I mean, the blurb was OK, but it didn't reel me in (especially since I was a science fiction, swashbuckling action fan!). But what the hey, it's not like I could protest and refuse to read the book. I could, in theory, but the most probable end result would have been my expulsion from that class. So I grudgingly read the book, armed with Spark Notes.

To be honest I was surprised that I actually liked it! I found myself really excited and nervous when Raskolnikov was plotting to kill the money-lender. And even though I knew what he did was wrong, for some reason I wanted him to be saved. But as such, justice must be served and the moral lesson is "two wrongs don't make a right."
I've been meaning to read this book again for sometime now, since I was reading it in a certain time constraint. I think I'll read "The Brothers Karamazov" first.

This entry has been really short! What a record! Well, until the next book!


---

Day 10 - Favorite classic book
Day 11 - A book you hated
Day 12 - A book you used to love but don’t anymore
Day 13 - Your favorite writer
Day 14 - Favorite book of your favorite writer
Day 15 - Favorite male character
Day 16 - Favorite female character
Day 17 - Favorite quote from your favorite book
Day 18 - A book that disappointed you
Day 19 - Favorite book turned into a movie
Day 20 - Favorite romance book
Day 21 - Favorite book from your childhood
Day 22 - Favorite book you own
Day 23 - A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t
Day 24 - A book that you wish more people would’ve read
Day 25 - A character who you can relate to the most
Day 26 - A book that changed your opinion about something
Day 27 - The most surprising plot twist or ending
Day 28 - Favorite title
Day 29 - A book everyone hated but you liked
Day 30 - Your favorite book of all time

No comments:

Post a Comment