Sunday 19 May 2013

day 17, 18, and 19 | apologies in order

BEEP BEEP BEEP Here comes the failboat! 

Urgh. I really need to get better at this whole updating thing! To be fair, I had a busy day last Friday, and I spent yesterday out with my friends for a joint birthday celebration. Both days had me wonky by nightfall. It looks like it's going to be a busy week too, so I know I'm bound to miss a day or two this week again.

ANYWAY let's get on to it. This is going to be a really short entry because I am so lazy it's criminal.


Day 17 - Favorite quote from your favorite book


Y'know what, I was planning on illustrating these quotes, but fuck it. I am waaaaay too spent to do anything.

“She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl. We did not know what to make of her. In our minds we tried to pin her to a cork board like a butterfly, but the pin merely went through and away she flew.”
-- Stargirl, Jerry Spinelli.

“Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.”
-- A History of Love

Do I really have to explain why I like these quotes? Just listen to the words. They sound like music. 

Day 18 - A book that disappointed you


The Jian by Eric van Lustbader.


The book probably doesn't ring any bells for anyone because it was a pretty obscure book. But I decided to read it for a very special reason: I was named after it. In the book, the Jian is the Chinese version of the ninja, and translates to "master of the arts". I guess my aunt wanted me to be an assassin or something.

Anyway, I read this when I was around 14 or 15 and I really didn't like it. I mean, it had a pretty good premise but the writing sucked. Too many fragments all around and it was pretty straightforward. Also there were so many unnecessary sex scenes. Like, can't we just fade to black? All the sex scenes looked the same anyway. And my memory's a bit fuzzy, but I think it ended with the bad guy falling off a cliff. Like.. OK? And I was rooting for him too. Haha. To be honest it wasn't such a sucky book, but the fact that I was named after it really disappointed me. 

Day 19 - Favorite book turned into a movie


Atonement by Ian McEwan and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Adapted for film by Joe Wright.

Is it not painfully obvious that I adore Joe Wright? I love his films. If he decides to adapt Fifty Shades of Grey I might even watch it. That's how much I love his films.

The Pride and Prejudice movie inspired me to read the book, and I decided to read Atonement right before I watched the movie. I love how he adapts books. He keeps the important parts intact and you'll feel like you've read the whole book. I also like the subtlety he brings to the films. My favorite part of P&P is when Mr. Darcy helps up Elizabeth on the carriage and afterwards it closes up to his hands clenching and unclenching. HNGG. Also, the legendary library scene of Atonement.  Any director would have done it in a more exploitative manner, but the scene was so tasteful. 

---

Day 20 - Favorite romance book
Day 21 - Favorite book from your childhood
Day 22 - Favorite book you own
Day 23 - A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t
Day 24 - A book that you wish more people would’ve read
Day 25 - A character who you can relate to the most
Day 26 - A book that changed your opinion about something
Day 27 - The most surprising plot twist or ending
Day 28 - Favorite title
Day 29 - A book everyone hated but you liked
Day 30 - Your favorite book of all time

No comments:

Post a Comment