Saturday 27 October 2012

Oh, the hum of ennui.

I'd really like to say that I've been straying away from this blog because of work, but that is most definitely not the case. This week at work has been my most laid back yet (compared to the weeks before and right after October 2), and I spent a lot of it moping on Gtalk to my good friend, whining "Fuck this shit, I just wanna go home."

There is a perpetual struggle between me and leaving the comforts of my ratty old bed, and I quite like losing the battle.

In any case, this week of semi-lethargy has brought about a very good thing: I'm out of my book slump! I told myself that I had to read 8 books for each month starting this October, a task that verily daunted me, but I managed to pull through and finish it! Granted they aren't the most difficult books I've had to read, but at least I'm reading (actively!) again.




THE BOOKS I'VE READ THIS MONTH

1 -- Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
This was the book that pulled me out of the slump. I just kept reading it because I really wanted to find out what happens at the end, and I was pretty happy with it. I love Lauren Oliver's prose, and her characters are all very shaped, except for the main character Sam. I just didn't feel that much of a connection with her. I connected more with her best friend Lindsay and Juliet, this girl they tormented from childhood to high school.

2 -- The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
FEELS. ALL MY FEELS. I can write a whole god damn novel on how much I love the Percy Jackson series, but I don't have the time. This latest installment of the Heroes of Olympus series did not disappoint. The only thing I hated about it is that I have to wait a whole YEAR for the next book! I am glad that it's less cliff-hangery than the previous books. I definitely missed Percy's POV!

3 and 4 -- The Red Pyramid and The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan
Since I had a super gaduper hangover with the Mark of Athena, I decided to begin the Kane Chronicles. My friend was also pretty insistent on me reading it. I LOVE IT. I LOVE IT LIKE CRAZY. Not as much as Percy Jackson, but I still love it! I really like how Sadie is the "brawnier" one while Carter is the brainier one. Way to smash the stereotypes. And as always, lots of funny moments all around.

5 and 6 -- The Dragon and the Pearl and My Fair Concubine by Jeannie Lin
To be honest, I never include romance novels in the list of books that I've read, but I'm making an exception for these two because (1) they actually have a plot, (2) the romance wasn't choking, (3) I felt like I learned something about China and the inner workings of the imperial regime. One of my problems with romance novels is that I feel like I never take anything away from them, but these are a bit different. YES I READ ROMANCE NOVELS I ADMIT IT LA.

7 -- The Fault in our Stars by John Green
This one was a pretty quick read, and I wanted to read it before I got started on The Serpent's Shadow. Unfortunately, I was left rather underwhelmed by this novel. Since everybody and their mother has been raving about how it changed their life, I was thinking this was going to blow me away. That wasn't the case. Also, ALL the characters are really snarky and philosophical. Like who the hell says "the great love of my life has a malfunctioning g-tube" to 911?! But I did like the scene where SPOILER ALERT Gus made Isaac and Hazel write eulogies for him, and it left me adequately sad.

I am about to finish Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott, which will finish my book count for October! Wish me luck in accomplishing the same for the next couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment